Monday, Monday, can’t trust that day

Remember the old song about Monday?

Monday, Monday, can’t trust that day. Monday, Monday, sometimes it just works out that way…Oh, Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be?

That’s how I felt yesterday. I knew this week was going to be crazy for the most part, but Monday was on my radar as one of the calmer days.

Not so much. I should have listened closer to the Mamas and the Papas.

I think I finally got home and settled in for the night shortly before 9 p.m. after starting my work day around 8:30 a.m.

Sometimes it just works out that way.

My day started with the news that a man had been struck by a train. Trying to find out how bad his injuries were was tough because of data practice laws. A Sioux Falls, S.D. TV station had said the man had broken bones and had to have a foot partially amputated, but I could not get confirmation of that from law enforcement or medical personnel.

While trying to track that down, I also attended a one-hour staff meeting, set up some things for later in the week and ran out to get a photo of a man being arrested for attempted assault with a butcher knife.

I ended up talking to the media director of Union Pacific Railroad later in the day and getting his comments added in to the story, then ran out of the office around 5:40 p.m., stopped home to eat supper (My husband had heated up some left-over roast beef and potatoes and deserves a huge hug for watching me chow down and then run out the door again without saying a word). Then it was off to Murray County Central to take a picture.

The students at MCC are working on a production of “Beauty and the Beast,” and I needed to take a picture of one of the cast members for an unrelated story that runs later this week. While I was there, I figured “What the heck” and started grabbing a few of the kids playing lead roles while they weren’t on stage for some quick interviews about the play

I also stopped to watch the “Be Our Guest” number because the character that sings it, the candlestick, is my youngest son, Matt. So I got a sneak peak at how rehearsals are going, chatted with a few kids and took notes on a story for next week. The kids are all so funny and talented and personable.

But I didn’t get home until much later than I had planned. I walked in the door, crawled into my flannel kitty pajamas and read for less than an hour before heading to bed.

It is all part of the non- 9 to 5 job that is being a reporter, but there are times I look around in the evening and wonder where my day went.

Today will also be a long one, as I have several court hearings to attend this morning and can’t leave until the election results are in tonight. Sometimes things just happen that way.
On the bright side, I plan to take next Monday off. Of course, I will probably spend most of it processing deer in our garage.

Which reminds me – with deer hunting season right around the corner and the farmers out in the field, those deer will be running all over the place. So be careful when you’re out on the road, especially after dark. Why such a shy, elusive creature feels the need to burst onto the road just as a car is going by is beyond me, but crashes and serious injuries can occur. And I don’t mean just to the deer.

All right…I’m off to court for a plea hearing and a couple of contested omnibuses.

Tuesday, Tuesday, sigh.